The Senate has passed resolutions on the weekend attacks on Ta’egbe and Durbi villages of Bassa and Jos East as well as the Jail break at the Jos Correctional Center following a motion by Senator I. D. Gyang.
Rising to a Matter of urgent public importance, Senator Gyang drew the attention of the Senate to the attacks saying;
- The Senate notes the terror attacks on two communities of Ta’egbe, Rigwe land and Durbi, Shere District in Bassa and Jos East local governments respectively leading to several deaths over the weekend.
- The Senate is concerned that the attacks on the two communities were a set back to the relative and much desired peace in Plateau North.
- The Senate is disturbed by the security breach and jailbreak at the Jos Medium Security Correctional Centre on Sunday 28/11/21. An update from the center indicates the following:
- 9 inmates were killed
- 1 bandit killed
- 1 officer also killed
- 252 inmates escaped and are at large.
- 6 inmates were fatally injured from gun shots.
- 10 escapees rearrested
- 63 condemn criminals were among the escapees.
- Convicted 2 were among the escapees
- 181 awaiting trials were among the escapees.
- The Senate is aware that the Jos custodial center is well fortified and surrounded by major security formations.
- The Senate is further aware that the invaders walked through a security zone and broke through to have over 200 inmates escape from the center.
- The Senate is equally aware that the Warders put up a fight against the invaders but were overwhelmed leaving behind a slained Warden in the person of Umar Mohammed who lost his life in a gallant gun battle against the attackers.
The Senate debated the motion at length and arrived at the following resolutions:
1). Call for the reinforcement of physical protection system and security mechanism at Correctional Centers across the nation by the Ministry of Interior to forestall further attempts at jailbreak.
2). That the attacks on Ta’egbe and Durbi communities in Plateau North and other communities across the nation requires more decisive and proactive measures by the CDS and the IGP to secure law abiding citizens from incessant terror attacks.
3). A minute’s silence be observed in prayers for the victims who lost their lives.
4). A special Custodial center be established to house hardened convicted criminals and high profile criminal suspects.
5). Commend the Judiciary over the Judgement by a Federal High Court declaring bandits and gunmen attacking law abiding citizens as terrorists.
6). Mandate the Senate Committee on Interior to investigate state of security at Correctional Centers nationwide and recommend appropriate measures to avoid further breaches and attacks.
count | 19